Buying a Hyundai today means you will enjoy some great features, like the Hyundai digital key feature, auto-dimming mirror, and wireless device charging that comes standard with the new 2021 Sonata’s select trims. Some of the newer Tucsons include heated mirrors, one-touch power windows, and remote keyless powered door locks. Another exceptional feature that comes standard or optional with most Hyundai models is the Hyundai navigation system.
Features of the Hyundai Navigation System
Image via Flickr by the KCB
This advanced new technology is integrated into the entertainment system and gives you full control of your travels. It responds to voice commands, allows you to access your smartphone’s contact list, and includes a digital road map with a point of interest database so you can plan your trips right down to the nearest gas station. Unlike the GPS service used on your smartphone that has automatic updates, the Hyundai navigation system must be updated manually to stay current on changes made to roads, lanes, speed limits, traffic laws, businesses, and more.
How To Update the Hyundai Navigation System
Updates for your Hyundai’s navigation system are available at different times depending on the year and model of your car. For most models manufactured before 2017, updates are released each year in the spring. For models made after 2017, updates are available every year during the spring and fall. In addition, there are two ways to get the new updates. You can either download and install the update yourself using an SD card (please see requirements below) or bring your Hyundai to Huffines Hyundai McKinney and let us update your navigation system for you.
If you need to order a new SD card, follow these steps:
1. Click here to visit the Hyundai multimedia and navigation updates page and create an account by entering your first and last name and your email address; create a password and you’re good to go.
2. Find the make, model, and year of your Hyundai and log in to your account.
3. Select “Order a new SD card by mail” and click “Add to Cart.”
4. The shopping cart page will open; enter your address and click “Get a Quote”.
5. Taxes will be calculated based upon your location and added to your purchase price. Click “Proceed to Checkout”.
6. Enter your account information, then confirm that your information is correct, including your shipping, billing, and payment information.
7. Your SD card will arrive in the mail. When it does, replace the old SD card with the new one. To find out where your SD card is located in your Hyundai, check the owner’s manual.
To Download and Install the Update Yourself
Most Hyundai models use either a 16GB or a 32GB SD card to store navigation information. To find out how your navigation information is stored on your Hyundai, and where to locate the SD card, check your owner’s manual.
Operating System: Windows 10, Home/Pro 32 bit/64 bit, OS X 10.10 or macOS
Hard Drive: Must have 100GB or more of free space
Not for use with: mobile smartphone devices, Chrome OS, Linux, UNIX, Parallel Desktop, or Windows 10s/Enterprise, Nano or Micro SD Cards.
Media needed for download option:
For Hyundais with a 32GB SD card slot, use the vehicle’s SD card to overwrite the current map with the new map.
For Hyundais with a 16GB SD card slot, you’ll need a 32GB aftermarket SDHC UHS-1 memory card.
For Hyundais with no SD card slot, use a 32GB or 64GB personal USB.
To download new updates for your Hyundai’s navigational system, take the following steps:
1. Click here to visit the Hyundai multimedia and navigation updates page and create an account entering your first and last name, your email address, and a unique password.
2. Sign in to your account and click “New Order/Dashboard” found on the top right menu bar.
3. Select the country where you purchased your Hyundai, then add the model year and the model in the correct fields and click “Search.”
4. A page will display your vehicle information. On the very bottom, check the box that says “Download it for free.”
5. Click the link that pops up and you will be taken to the download page. Click your operating system to download the “Navigator update.”
1. Select your region and click “Next.”
2. Select your brand and click “Next.”
3. Select your language and click “Next.”
4. You will be asked to review and accept the “Navigation software license terms” and the “License contract terms.” Once you are done, click “Next.”
5. Select the location where you want the program to be saved, check the box to create a desktop shortcut, and click “Next.”
6. The program will download. When the download is complete, you can either sign in to your account or use the guest menu to get the update.
1. A message may appear that says “Can’t be opened since Apple is unable to check for malicious software.” To fix this issue, open system preferences and on the general page, make sure “App Store and identified developers” is checked off under “Allow apps downloaded from” and click “Open Anyway.”
2. Click “Open“ on the next pop-up window.
3. The Navigation Updater Installer welcome page will open. Click “Continue.”
4. Click “Install” on the next window that opens.
5. Enter your system password, then click “Install Software.”
6. With the macOS 10.15 Catalina version, a permission dialog will appear, click the “OK” button.
7. Click “Close” on the next page that pops up to begin the installation.
8. Once the program has finished installing, sign in to your account to get the update.
9. The program will install and then load. You can either sign in to your account or use the guest menu to get the update.
Once the update has been downloaded to your SD card, put the card into your vehicle. From the menu, select “Drive,” then select “Yes” to allow the SD card to be formatted. After the download is complete, you will have to obtain an authentication code so you can authenticate the file. Click “Map Update Manual” to get further installation instructions based on your vehicle.
Let Us Update Your Hyundai Navigation System for You
Want to skip all the hassle of downloading and installing the updates yourself? Let us do it for you. Contact us for an appointment, then bring your Hyundai to Huffines Hyundai McKinney and our team of experts will take care of this for you in no time.